2019 is finally wrapped up. It was an overall okay year. Some good, some bad, some average stuff happened. I made some decisions about personal changes in habits and other general life things that I want to do in 2020 for my own sanity and sake. However, we’re all about being positive here and the blog has definitely kept me through a lot of that even if its been so long and some months are much busier than I expect.
Before I get to housekeeping the blog and 2020 plans (coming up in a later post), which should last a good few days, its time to take a moment to reflect on the blog going-ons in 2019 and take a quick look at some stats, faves, and of course successes.
2019 in Review
2019 was something of a crazy year! I covered a few film festivals: some first time ones and then watched a reviewed a ton of movies. The views had some incredibly huge growths and then also had some very low days. At so many years on, stats really is just a number but does make me wonder what makes it grow sometimes. A look at some general stats without digging too deep.
- Total views: 57,244 (decrease from the previous year but then 2018 was the best year in blogging for me)
- Top 5 countries reading
- United States
- Hong Kong SAR
- United Kingdom
- Top 5 posts written in 2019
- TV Binge: Rush to the Dead Summer
- TV Binge: Who’s The Murderer (Season 4)
- TV Binge: The Inn 2 (Season 2)
- Restaurant: Yunnan Rice Noodles
- Announcement: Ultimate 2000s Blogathon
Definitely some interesting stats as I never realized that my TV Binges, especially for Chinese dramas and variety shows did so well. I’m just wondering who is reading them as they are definitely a slow accumulation over time. I do those mostly for my own enjoyment and not thinking that many people will read it.
2019 also has some other challenges and overviews in films and Goodreads Reading Challenges.
Goodreads Reading Challenge
- Goodreads Reading Challenge was increased from the beginning of the year halfway, which resulted in my failing to reach the goal. I did log a book collection which was 4 books considered as 1 read. Technically I reached the goal, right? The total books read was 27 books! According to the My Year in Books 2019 from Goodreads.
- I read 7024 pages over 27 books
- Shortest book: The Princess and the Peacock
- Longest book: Obsidio
- My favorite books read in 2019 (not necessarily 2019 releases)
- A Series of Unfortunately Events Collection: Book 10-13
- The Dragon Head of Hong Kong: The Ava Lee Prequel
- Always and Forever, Lara Jean
In the reading department, I actually skewed away from a lot of what I had intended on reading at the beginning of the year probably when I did the 2019 plans. However, I did discover quite a few good reads and caught up with some reads sitting around that was way overdue.
Movies & Letterboxd
While Letterboxd’s Year in Review hasn’t come out yet, I’m going to start a little look over with the help of its stats to see how the movie watching thing was. Do note that my viewings were bloated by short film viewings but also lost some of the films that were premieres at film festivals and wasn’t listed yet but most likely forgot to go back and add them back later on.
- Total movies watched: 249
- Out of 249:
- 80 films were from 2019
- 5 Netflix Stand-up Comedy Specials
- 3 Theatre viewings
- 29 short films
- 42 rewatches (including Harry Potter franchise, Evil Dead franchise)
- Favorite 2019 movies (in no particular order – not surprisingly all festival viewings)
- White Snake
- Daniel Isn’t Real
- Dead Dicks
- Riot Girls
- Paradise Hills
- Favorite non-2019 movies (in no particular order)
- Us and Them
- The Hate U Give
- Murder on the Orient Express
- Anna and the Apocalypse
TV Binging in Review
Last thing to look at before we wrap up this much longer than expected post (causing me to change the original structure) – TV! Suffice to say that I watched a lot of Chinese dramas and variety shows. Much more than the English stuff. Its been a nice change in pace overall and there’s some really nice Chinese dramas out there, which are also getting acquired by Netflix or released as Netflix series. As I’m a ton of TV binges behind, this is where the What’s Up segment is going to help a ton in compiling this portion (although I have a clear idea of my faves already).
Top 5 TV Seasons of 2019
- Le Coup de Foudre
- Go Go Squid!
- The King’s Avatar
- River Flows To You
- Put Your Head On My Shoulder
Honorable Mention: Love, Death + Robots; Umbrella Academy; The Brightest Star in the Sky
Overall, 2019 was a pretty decent year. I had some nice little fun successes like getting a few festival media accreditation and some rather fun little screener links offered for review. Its been rather busy starting from Montreal Comiccon in July then jumping straight to Fantasia International Film Festival, followed by a first time accreditation for Toronto After Dark Film Festival covering short films, then went on to a first time press pass for Festival du Nouveau Cinema and then finally a remote coverage for Blood in the Snow Film Festival. There was a lot of fun little movie discoveries as well as an appreciation for short films. A lot of originally planned things (from what I remembered) wasn’t all that achieved but at the same time, it went relatively smoothly.
That’s it for this 2019 in Review!
We’ll be planning out 2020 later today (or maybe tomorrow).