One of the best moments is being able to reconnect with good friends. Its been a year or so that I haven’t spoken with one of my friends. Sometimes, its just one of us taking the first step. I guess thats a problem for me because I always assume everyone is busy with their own life and I don’t like to disturb them. Long story short, one of my good friends who is also my best travel buddy is around again.
Our new plan from hanging out again was setting up our trip in advance. We decided to do a short Plattsburgh food run. The perks of living relatively near to the US border is that we can go and do food runs and explore all those options Americans get that we don’t in Canada. We were joking as we were looking at the different flavours that Canada gets on who makes these decisions on what Canadians like rather all those other ones that’s there. Seeing as it is across the border and one day, it all dials down to getting a whole lot of food…or when they asked our reason, Pop Tarts, Iced Tea, Oreos and Chips… What more can we say, right?
Our first stop was Champlain Centre for a Target run. Then across the street to Hannaford, lunch break at Applebee’s and finally, ending it off at Walmart.
Lunch at Applebee’s
This is the second time I’ve been here. My stomach was a little wonky that morning so I tried to not eat too much. We ended up sharing these samplers where you can choose 3 choices. Our choices were: Pork and Shrimp Dumplings, Honey BBQ Riblets and Sweet Potato Fries.
Let me tell you: these samplers are really good! I loved the riblets the best but they were all tasty and just enough to share for something light. Its a pretty good idea to have this on the menu 🙂
Now that we have food out of the way, lets check out what I got. Keep in mind that other than the movies and book, most of this stuff, I can’t get in Canada.
1. Sobe Life Water
Its like a vitamin water, I guess. I’ve never seen it in Montreal but then I never try to seek it out either. I figured it’d be something new to try when I don’t feel like drinking water or tea 😉 But I have tasted some of Sobe’s juices and they are pretty delish!
2. Movies: You’re Next (Blu-ray), Snitch (Blu-ray), Takers (DVD) & Land Before Time 8 & 9.
I’ve been collecting the Land Before Time series since I was a kid and they are still incredibly fun to watch. Don’t judge…
3. Book: Paper Towns by John Green.
I saw the trailer for this movie and it reminded me a little of Eleven Reasons Why minus the manipulated feelings while I was reading that book so while I want to catch it in the theatres when its released, I also wanted to read it before. Here’s where Target is fantastic because it has 20% off the regular price and that’s awesome.
4. Chips: Cape Cod Chipotle Barbecue, Lay’s Wasabi Ginger, Lay’s Mango Salsa, Lay’s Garlic Cheesy Bread, Frito’s Twisters.
Junk food galore right here and its just the start as you can see. As of now, I’ve only tried the Wasabi Ginger and that tastes pretty good. Usually these ones are pretty hit and miss but something about it tastes a little like ramen powder with gingery and mild wasabi hotness 😉 Garlic Cheesy Bread is my boyfriend’s since thats his favorite appetizer choice.
5. Cereal: Froot Loops with Marshmallows!
Excuse me, I love marshmallows and I love froot loops. It was this one or the Fruity Pebbles with marshmallows, I think. The cereal aisles in the US are just incredible!
6. Pop Tarts: Unfrosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon, Wild Berry Bloom (Limited Edition), Frosted Cinnamon Roll
I love these unfrosted Pop Tarts. Mostly because its just the perfect sweetness. When its fully frosted, it gets a little too much for me.
7. Slow Cooker Sauces: I don’t get why we don’t have these in Canada. While I’m all about homemade food, this is really great backup dinner solutions. All I need to do is buy meat the night before.
8. Iced Tea: So I’ve never seen this and it had some nice flavors. I love hibiscus flavored stuff and I’m trying to find the one I had tasted on my travels a few years back, till today, still no luck. I haven’t tried this one yet so who knows, right?
9. Lactose-free Ice Cream: The choices for gluten-free and lactose-free or anything allergen free in Montreal is miserable. I mean, its limited choices and outrageous prices that I kind of want to forego eating these things so I got a nice little cooler bag and bought three tiny tubs of ice cream. You see two up there, yeah, that’s because there’s also a raspberry sorbet in the freezer 😉
10. Fruit Roll-up (not shown here): Look, we only have Fruit by the Foot here. While I enjoy that, there’s always 1 out of 3 trips to Plattsburgh that I pick up some Fruit Roll-Up. I’d definitely think about getting Fruit Gushers eventually. Its pretty tasty and for the most part, nostalgia wins over me 😉
I guess that’s all there is! Crossing the border, I could see the customs not really caring when they asked us what we went to buy. Its probably one of the smoothest border crossings I’ve had, as in not a lot of questions and not even a lot of cars. It was a quick food run but it was tons of fun just catching up and buying random stuff. At least, I’m stocked up for snacks for a few months (or I hope I will).
Do you have travel buddies? Are you a fan of doing day trips? What are your favorite snacks?