More cooking! I promised you that I’d be back on track with that! Some late night cooking for the boyfriend since I was going out for an advanced screening tonight 🙂 Not so sure about the movie but its okay, its free anyways.
I’ve only ever made Shepherd’s Pie months ago to help my friend’s family out. I never actually tried how it turned out but apparently it was pretty good. My boyfriend kind of wanted me to do it for us but I never got around to it until now. So here we go! Last weekend, I promised that I’d do it this week and after a late night cooking, its all done.
It looks a little weird but its partially because of the lighting and second, because I kind of messed up a part of the ingredients but I’ll elaborate after the recipe.
This one was inspired by Looneyspoons recipe. The original one includes squash and sour cream for the potato topping but I did a traditional mashed potato with some milk and butter instead.
Here is the recipe:
Makes 6 servings
Meat and Vegetables
1 1/2 lbs extra-lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp paprika
*1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 cup frozen mixed peas and carrots
1 cup canned corn
1/3 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
*2 tbsp chili sauce
1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp each salt and ground black pepper
2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
*2 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash
*1/2 cup + 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
*1/2 cup light (5%) sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
*Minced fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. To make filling, cook beef, onions and garlic in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink and onions are tender. Stir in paprika and thyme. Cook 1 more minute. Add peas and carrots and corn. Mix well.
2. In a medium bowl or measuring cup, whisk together broth, chili sauce, flour and Worcestershire sauce. Add to meat mixture in pot, along with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken slightly. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm while you prepare potato topping.
3. To make topping, place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Add squash. Cook until both potatoes and squash are tender, about 12 to 14 minutes. Drain potatoes and squash in a colander. Return to pot. Sprinkle 1/4 cup Parmesan over vegetables. Cover with lid and let stand 1 minute for cheese to melt. Add sour cream, salt and dash nutmeg. Mash well using a potato masher. Try to get out as many lumps as possible.
4. To assemble casserole, spread meat mixture evenly over the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Top with potato-squash mixture. Fluff with fork so small peaks are formed. Sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan over potatoes. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes, until completely heated through. Remove from oven. Sprinkle top with parsley, if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
A lot of changes were made.
- All the asterisks(*) show those that were omitted except for dried thyme
- Dried thyme was replaced with half dried basil and half dried oregano
- I used frozen peas but fresh chopped carrots
- Flour was gluten-free
- Potato topping was not at all like this one but mashed potato. I forgot to replace the squash that removed so I fell short for the topping. Instead of sour cream and everything, I used unsweetened almond milk and butter.
I have an issue with corn so my boyfriend was the only one who tasted it. Apparently, I need to work on making the potato topping. Other than that, it was a tasty dish 🙂
I am curious about how squash potato mix would work for the potato topping. Maybe I’ll try that next time! It doesn’t look too amazing in the first picture but the topping looks very appetizing. Plus, my kitchen had a wonderful delicious aroma from the cooking. Guess that helps when its 2am and I’m still waiting for this to come out of the oven 😉
Do you like Shepherd’s Pie? Any tips on making mashed potatoes?
**Psst: I’m experimenting on cooking so another recipe going up very soon 🙂 This time, it’ll look awesome! Remember to check back.