Cute name, right? This is the actual title of this recipe that I did for yesterday’s early visit to my boyfriend’s place to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day. Along with dessert, I bought her some nice yellow and pink bouquet 🙂
I don’t usually make a lot of desserts completely chocolate unless its for special occasions. After developing some sensitivity to chocolate, it not always my first choice because then I don’t get to join in the fun but I realized that sometimes baking is really about seeing how happy others are when they like what I make! Whats a better time than making people I care about something they’d love, right?
Here’s how this came out:
Doesn’t it look delicious? When I was mixing this, it started smelling so chocolatey and awesome. Imagine what happened while it was baking then when it came out? 😉
The recipe is from Looneyspoons Collection from Janet and Greta Podelski.
Makes 12 servings
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
3 tbsp high quality vegetable oil
1 cup light (5%) sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8×8 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2) In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
3) In a medium bowl, beat together brown sugar, eggs, and oil using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add sour cream, vanilla and almond extract. Beat on low speed until well blended.
4) Gradually add flour mixture to sour cream mixture, beating on medium speed. Fold in chocolate chips.
5) Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Cut into 12 squares. For maximum moistness, store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Its a pretty simple cake to make and if you follow their ingredients, it should be quite healthy. I followed it for the most part. However I removed the almond extract and sour cream and replaced it with 1/2 cup almond milk. Also, I used white chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet because I ran out of the latter.
Still, the moistness was right on. My boyfriend and his parents thought it was delicious 🙂 That always makes me happy! I didn’t try it so I can’t comment much on that. It did smell extremely yummy!
It was definitely a success and its worth a try! Especially worthy for Mother’s Day (or probably any day)
Have an awesome Mother’s Day!!!
Happy Mother’s Day